Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wow, this is gross!

I don't eat as well as I should. I usually take the lazy way out when thinking of something to eat and head to the nearest restaurant or chain and eat there. It really doesn't make sense that I'm unwilling to take twenty minutes to cook something healthy but I don't mind sitting around for twenty minutes ordering and enduring a wait for my food to be served to me.

Since high school, I've gained the freshman 15 (and plenty more) simply because of my unwillingness to cook for myself, but I think something has finally clicked for me. As I'm getting older (tear), I realize that what I put in my body is a direct effect on how I look and feel. You know that 'You are what you eat' comment we've heard millions of times...well, now it's true. Do I really want to stuff myself with chemicals and preservatives? Don't I want all those minerals, vitamins and antioxidants found in fresh, healthy food? Duh, of course I do!

I've seen the Super Size Me movies and read the Skinny Bitch series, but it hasn't (unfortunately) stopped me from my fast food/restaurant eating habit. I think I found something that finally did. Recently in the news, there was this experiment that showed what happened to a McDonald's meal six months after it sat around. Here was the original meal, taken on April 10th 2010:


Here's what it looked like on September 28th 2010: 


Do you see a difference? No, because there isn't one! According to the woman in charge of the experiment, Sally Davies, the food didn't even mold. 

Expecting the food to begin moulding after a few days, Mrs Davies' surprise turned to shock as the fries and burger still had not shown any signs of decomposition after two weeks.

'It was then that I realised that something strange might be going on with this food that I had bought,' she explained.
'The fries shrivelled slightly as did the burger patty, but the overall appearance of the food did not change as the weeks turned to months.

'And now, at six months old, the food is plastic to the touch and has an acrylic sheen to it.
'The only change that I can see is that it has become hard as a rock.'

You can read the entire article here. This isn't the first time a fast food meal has been left to rot and it does nothing more than turn to a plastic form of it's original self. 


Do you think this latest experiment is enough to stop some from eating fast food? How do you try to stay healthy? For me, it's all about breaking a habit and I think I have finally gotten my push! Thoughts???




2 comments:

  1. Ew.

    I try not to eat fast food. It always seems like a good idea at the time, and then 1 hour later I feel like I am going to die. Maybe this is the reason ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that looks grose! I hope you find your push haha, but maybe if your thinking about eating fast food, take another look at the picture!
    You have a lovely blog btw!

    http://style-in-sight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete