Sunday, October 17, 2010

Beauty Calls for Drastic Measures

I took my trusty Glamour Magazine to school with me the other day so I could have some educational reading between classes. As I flipped through the pages, something kept coming up in many of the beauty articles: fish oil capsules.



Georgia boutique owner in New York City said that one of her little beauty tricks to repair hair was to take two fish oils each day. A few pages later, fish oil capsules were said to moisturize the skin, improve brain and eye health and support the joints and heart.

Even Health.com explains how beneficial omega-3 fish oil pills are:  Fish oil contains two main types of omega-3 fatty acids: docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). DHA keeps the brain functioning properly. And EPA greatly benefits skin by regulating oil production to boost hydration and prevent acne, and by delaying the skin’s aging process to stave off wrinkles. A 2005 study in the Journal of Lipid Researchdiscovered that EPA can help block the release of the UV-induced enzymes that eat away at our collagen, causing lines and sagging skin. Because EPA is both an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory agent, it can protect against sun damage and help repair it.


Since it's starting to get colder and drier around here, I was all for trying this beauty regimen. I should also mention I have an aversion to large vitamins or supplements. Gag. I bought my large bottle of omega-3's at Target and went home. Once I opened the bottle, I was horrified at the size. They were larger than large, and I was already panicking. After a few seconds of convincing, I finally took it. Whew, that was tough! 


Today, I took my second one and to distract myself, I made the hubby start a conversation just so I could ignore the fact that the pill was so large. I think after a few days and one-sided conversations I'll be able to take them easier! 


What other vitamins or supplements do you swear by?

No comments:

Post a Comment