Sunday, November 21, 2010

Holiday Crafts

I don't know what it is, but I've been feeling awfully crafty lately. I just want to make thing with my own hands, invest the time and be creative. When our family friends Lucy and Nery announced they were having a baby, I immediately wanted to do something for them. I came up with a baby quilt. While it is obviously a beginner's quilt, I had so much fun picking out the colors and creating the design all on my own. Since I was going home a month from the announcement, I needed to work fast--and they didn't know what they were having. I chose gender-neutral colors in a mint and cream palette, and used a chocolate fleece for the backing. I used different color embroidery floss for each square and tied it all together with a chocolate ribbon binding. 


Here is my hubby doing the honor of holding it up to the camera soon before I added the ribbon:



Now that I've taken it home and given it to our friends, I feel like I need to do something else. Today, as I was looking around on blogs, I came across a new one -- GCD Studios. (Thanks, Kipp!) 

There, on the front page, is the perfect next craft. Holiday Ornaments!! Not only will they be fun to make, but I can get creative and use them year after year. Here are directions directly off of the GCD Studios blog: 


Supplies:
Styrofoam ball
Hot Glue
GCD Studios Papers
Lace


 Cut two 1/2-inch x 4.5" paper strips from each paper color and lace.
- Wrap paper and lace strips around ball crossing at center mark on bottom of the styrofoam ball.


- Apply hot glue and ends at top/bottom of the styrofoam ball.
- Repeat in same way with remaining strips

 Be sure to check out their blog for plenty of other amazing ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment